Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Devin's Birthday Cake


Hi-- anyone there? Ha!



So-- for Devin's 3rd birthday this year I made him a Toy Story cake with Woody and Buzz. He has been watching all three movies and is hooked on them. He loves to jump off of the couch and yell, 'To infinity and beyond!' With gusto!

Buttercream frosting is hard to work with-- I can never get it smooth. So, I decided to make it look like the sky and do swirls (similar to the movie poster)?! I don't know how well that part turned out....

Also, I couldn't find a pan to use because Disney is difficult with their merchandising! So, I did a buttercream transfer. I printed out a picture of Buzz and Woody and taped it to a cutting board. Then I taped plastic wrap on top of that really tightly and 'traced' the image with frosting. I also used some edible markers to do the details in the face-- which would have been difficult to pipe. Then I froze it (I did this a couple weeks ahead of his birthday because it was very time consuming). Then the day before his birthday I baked the cake, frosted it the day of and took the transfer out of the freezer. I flipped the transfer over and got the reverse image of my printed version. It worked out really well. I will use this technique again when I want to 'copy' something complex in buttercream. The best part is that it made a very happy boy!

The happy birthday boy!


No comments: