Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Going Back in Time: Devin's 2nd Birthday

When Devin turned 2 he was really into the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the Disney channel (in fact he still loves that show). So, I wanted to do a Mickey themed birthday cake. I found a simple Mickey face on line and saved it into powerpoint-- then I played around and printed out different sizes to get a size that would fit my 9" cake pan well... I actually went a little bigger (you can see it cut off his ears a bit) because I wanted the face to be a good size. Then I made several copies and cut it into pieces to create a template. I frosted the outside first with white buttercream and then did an outline in black of Mickey's face-- then I slowly cut the image away as I frosted more parts. For instance, I cut just around Mickey's face so that I could trace the inside black lines. I kept cutting away at the template to make sure the size of Mickey's facial parts were correct. I definitely could not free hand this-- I'm not that artistic. When I finished with all of the outlines, then I just used a star tip to fill in the flesh tone and used a small cheese knife to fill in the black and red areas. Overall it turned out pretty well!

No comments: